Baltimore City Tax Credit for Historic Rehabilitations and Restorations
The tax credit online system is restored and fully functional! At this time we require the following of our applicants;
- If you submitted preliminary or final applications while the system was down please upload all materials provided to CHAP staff via email ASAP. We will not issue any pending approvals until this information has been uploaded into the system.
- CHAP staff will continue to complete reviews in the order in which applications were received, regardless of if initial contact was completed through the online system or through the work-around email system.
- Please remember that all preliminary approvals continue to require the submission of the $50 review fee by check before they are entered into our queue for review.
- Please use this email, [email protected], for all future contact with CHAP staff regarding the historic tax credit, as both Stacy and Caitlin will be out of the office for extended periods of time in the coming months. Other CHAP staff will be monitoring this email.
In 1996, the Mayor and City Council established Baltimore City’s Historic Tax Credit Program, fostering the rehabilitation of historic structures throughout Baltimore. The Historic Tax Credit Program is open to residential and commercial buildings. To date, more than 5,000 rehabilitation projects have participated. The program is a 10 year, comprehensive tax credit program that helps the City in its mission to preserve Baltimore's historic neighborhoods by encouraging property owners in historic districts to complete substantive rehabilitation projects. The 10-year credit is granted on the increased property value, resulting from the qualifying rehabilitation work. The tax credit is computed once and used for the entire 10-year life of the credit. The Department of Finance is responsible for calculating the credit and all questions regarding the calculation should be addressed to them.
To date, over one billion dollars has been invested in historic properties since 1997, with more than 3,000 restorations currently underway in historic districts throughout the City.
- Ten-year tax credit for all renovations, interior and exterior, is the most generous in Baltimore City, and among the most comprehensive in the country.
- Credit benefits both homeowners and businesses.
- Goal of the program is to help preserve Baltimore's neighborhoods by encouraging restoration and rehabilitation.
- Credit is fully transferrable to a new owner for the remaining life of the credit.
GET STARTED HERE: Tax Credit FAQ