Wyndhurst is located in north central Baltimore just east of Roland Avenue and north of Wyndhurst Avenue, abutting the Roland Park National Register Historic District. Several schools: Gilman, Friends and Roland Park Elementary and Middle School border the neighborhood on the north. The neighborhood is divided into two sections, Tuxedo Park (west of Stony Run) and Embla Park (east of Stony Run). Wyndhurst is primarily a neighborhood of frame-shingles houses set back from the street. Most houses have front porches facing tree-line streets. The earliest houses date to the last half of the nineteenth century and feature Victorian detailing with intricate carved wood ornamentation. Later architectural styles represented within the neighborhood include Queen Anne and Colonial Revival.
Among the notable exterior architectural features of houses in Wyndhurst are slate roofs, decorative shingles, stained glass windows, shutters and classical columns supporting porches. In addition to detached single-family houses there are some apartments and duplexes in the neighborhood. While the area is predominantly residential, the major commercial district for Roland Park that includes Eddie’s Supermarket and Tuxedo Pharmacy are actually located within the greater Wyndhurst neighborhood. Additional commercial uses are clustered along Wyndhurst Avenue near Stony Run. The neighborhood is located on hilly terrain enhanced by mature vegetation.
The two sections of Wyndhurst, Tuxedo Park and Embla Park, are representative of housing types in the greater Wyndhurst neighborhood. The Embla Park section includes some of the grandest Victorian houses in the community, as well as some later, modest masonry and frame cottages, a large apartment building and a 1960s era clubhouse. The 700 block of Colorado Avenue in the Tuxedo Park section of the neighborhood has a more homogeneous character made primarily of individual brown shingle style houses.
Statement Of Significance
Wyndhurst is an excellent example of a late nineteenth to early twentieth century Baltimore suburb. The neighborhood pre-dates the larger, well-known Roland Park community bordering Wyndhurst on the west and south. The area was originally known as Vaux Hall or Fox Hall. By 1887, Embla Park was listed in the Maryland State Directory and Gazetteer, an indication that the community had its own post office. A railroad station for the Maryland and Pennsylvania line was located at Wyndhurst and Lawrence Avenues. The street configuration of Tuxedo Park was developed by the Kansas City Land Company in 1892. Edward Boulton, the first general manager of the Roland Park Company, was associated with the development of Tuxedo Park. The 1900 census lists some 43 households in Tuxedo Park. Between World War I and World War II, most of the undeveloped lots in the neighborhood were built upon, completing the built environment of the community.