National Register of Historic Places 10/09/01
The Lauraville Historic District is a cohesive residential suburb defined by hilly topography, contoured street patterns, and early 20th century, freestanding frame and masonry houses. Lauraville meets National Register Criterion C as an excellent example of suburban development in Baltimore from ca. 1870 to 1941. The historic district, which is roughly bounded by Harford Road, Herring Run Creek, Cold Spring Lane, Charlton Avenue, Halcyon Avenue, Grindon Road, Catalpha Road, and Echodale Avenue, is comprised of a variety of early 20th century suburban architectural forms. Foursquare houses and bungalows predominate. The historic district also includes commercial buildings along Harford Road, two churches, one school, and one cemetery. With few exceptions, the residential section of Lauraville appears little changed and possesses a high degree of integrity. Demolition and major alterations appear to have been largely confined to the present commercial strip along Harford Road.
The Lauraville Historic District is an excellent example of an early 20th century Baltimore suburb. The district is comprised of an unusually cohesive cluster of residential developments tied together by its hilly topography and angled irregular street patterns. Comprised primarily of frame and shingle foursquares and bungalows, Lauraville also includes late 19th century residences, brick commercial buildings, churches, a school, and a cemetery. Its period of significance extends from the late 19th century through 1941, when development was halted by World War II.
The Lauraville Historic District meets National Criterion C because it is an excellent example of 20th century suburban development in Baltimore, encompassing the full range of features that embody the suburban ideal. In architectural style, street patterns, and landscape treatment, the neighborhood provides a powerful contrast to older, urban sections of Baltimore. With the exception of various types of siding applied to houses and demolition and unsympathetic new construction along the Harford Road commercial edge, the Lauraville Historic District exhibits a high degree of integrity. Its boundaries reflect long-time neighborhood perception, the pattern of frame housing stock, and the development of the area before 1941.